For three decades I’ve been enjoying the process of sharing plant fiber weaving with learners of all ages. My way of understanding the universe is through experience, by doing, by using all my senses, and that is the way I teach. I use this many-faceted discipline as a doorway to cultural awareness, creativity, academic learning, professional development, and environmental stewardship. My role as an artist not only involves creating art from the landscape, but includes building artisans programs, designing curriculums, and participating in artists and writers residencies. In 2018 I will be working on a publication: “Weaving Nature - Plant Fiber Project Blending Culture, Science & Art” in hopes of offering some helpful lessons to support those who also teach in this manner.
Upcoming Workshops 2018
I will be teaching a one-day workshop at IslandWood on Feb 4, 2018: Weaving From the Landscape - Ribbed Gathering Basket. https://islandwood.org/event/gifts-landscape-weaving-ribbed-gathering-basket
An outstanding line-up of well known basketry teachers are now scheduled to offer their workshops at Bainbridge Artisans Resource Network (BARN) in 2018. Check the BARN Fiber Arts Studio Calendar for tuition and registration information. These classes are soon to be posted!
- March 2,3,4 - Exploring NW Gold - Pick Your Own Project - With Kathey Ervin
- April 6 - Waves on Cedar With Polly Adams Sutton
- April 7,8 - Sculptural Twining in NW Naturals With Polly Adams Sutton
- May 5 - Net-Anchor Artifacts With Suquamish Elder Ed Carriere, and Plant Fiber Artist Melinda West
- May 19 - NW Coast Cedar Basket Weaving With Nancy Sigo
- May 20 - Woven Cedar Bark Necklace Pouch With Nancy Sigo
- June 9,10 - Cedar Bark Dog Leash With Sue Skelly
- June 22 - Mermaid Tears - Knotless Netting Over Beach Glass With Kay Harradine
- June 23,24 - Waxed Linen Medallion With Kay Harradine
- July 13 - Birch Bark Knife Sheath For Swedish Carving Knife With Karen Sherwood
- July 14,15 - Adirondack Style Pack With Karen Sherwood
- August 10 - Waves On Cedar With Polly Adams Sutton
- August 11,12 - Asymmetrical Cedar & Wire With Polly Adams Sutton
- August 25,26 - Cedar Trinket Basket With Jo Hart
- September 8,9 - Twining Your Own Pattern In a Basket With George Hart
- September 29 - Large Cedar Sphere With Sue Skelly
- October 12 - Flaxen Sacs With Kay Harradine
- October 13,14 - Vessels of Light With Kay Harradine
- October 27,28 - Cumberland Lowland Carrier (White Oak) With Linnie Veilleux
I'm shifting my focus from teaching to documenting. This year, I'm figuring out how to share my favorite lessons in a simple form, with as many people as possible. For now, I hope you will visit some of the past workshops here and see what fun we've had.
I welcome suggestions and comments as I continue to develop these educational resources. Please don't hesitate to contact me.